This is the inside of the Pokeball Purse I make and sell on my etsy store. The picture in the listing is a little out of date. I started adding vinyl piping to the front and back seams to make the bag hold it’s round shape better. Here is what they used to look like before the piping.
Here is the new Pokeball Purse with piping!
So much better looking! But now it’s ridiculously thick. The front piece is two (top half and bottom half) pieces of vinyl sewn together in the middle with the black “button” piece sewing on top. Add the two layers of vinyl for the piping and the side piece. All that makes a seams that is five layers of vinyl!! That’s not including the two layers of cotton lining or the other two layers of red vinyl bias I sew around this raw edge to make it look pretty on the inside.
I could never have done it without my industrial walking foot machine! This badboy right here is my pride and joy! He’s my favorite machine! Shhhh…don’t tell the others!
Okay so this was my second attempt at this custom logo for a customer. This happened in two places last time. I went in and fixed the design as best I could but there was still an odd line I couldn’t get rid of. That line turned into that gap when I stitch it out. I was so frustrated because I knew it had to do with my digitizing. I read thought the book I got “Digitizing made easy”. There was a section on stitch length that really help. Plus I went in and changed my start/stop positions and that eliminated the weird line (gap) problem. I didn’t bother finishing the design once I saw the gap. Why waste thread and time.
So this bag was a custom order. Its a bigger more awesome version of the Pokeball backpack I make. First off it’s a whooping 16 inches in diameter, then it’s a total of 6 inches in depth. The original is only 12″x 2″. Then they wanted a pocket for a laptop, so instead of just putting a pocket inside it, I decided to do one better and do a double compartment. This was a better undertaking than I realized because of all the layers involved in the bag. I reinforced everything with a layer of denim to cancel out the vinyl’s stretch, then a layer of cotton so it will look nice on the inside. For the laptop compartment I did a layer of batting for extra protection. After all that I did strips of 1 1/2″ wide nylon webbing across the bottom to make sure it could hold the weight of books. Wow was it ever hard to get those seams in my sewing machine. Even with my Juki machine it barely cleared the presser foot. If I had have my walking foot machine a week ago this would not have been a problem. But that’s for another post. This bag is awesome and I wish I could keep it but its for a wonderful customer. I hope he loves it as much as I do, it was such a labor of love to make it.
So I’ve been making nothing but pokeball backpacks since I had the idea for the first one. They are extremely popular. I’ve made 2-6 a month for the last few months. I think that’s awesome that they are so popular, but no one has been ordering anything else in my store. All my original designs have gone unsold, but the pokeball backpack is also an original design. I didn’t think they’d be so popular. I’ve had other anime inspired ideas that I haven’t been able to work on because I’m busy making pokeballs. I’ve been thinking that maybe I should put them on hold and stop selling them for a while. Then bring them back as a special limited time offer later. I’m feeling a lot like a band that is tired of playing that radio hit because they’ve played it way too many times. However, it’s hard to stop making them when they’re the only thing selling at the moment and I really need the money. What to do, what to do, hmm…
So I was cleaning up my apartment, specifically my sewing area and I realized I have too many unfinished projects. I really should get them all done. The problem for most of them is they’re still in the “design”. Most of them are bags that have been cut out already and have the main body ready to go, it’s just the little details that are elusive. Like what I should add to make it pop or give it that “WolfChild” flare. So this week I pulled out a few of them and just started doing the little things that need to be done with them like cutting out linings and sewing tags and pockets. All in the hope that that creative spark will fire and I’ll be able to finish them soon. I was able to finish two of them so far but my goal is to get my whole pending project drawer empty by the end of the year. I’ll keep you posted how it goes. Keep an eye on my store for new products.
I made this coin purse originally in Black and Red vinyl with a more gothic look to help raise money for Japan’s Earthquake Diaster this year. I raised over $200 in just about a month and was very please with the positive responce of the online community. I’ve been planning on making one in more tradisional style but it too me awhile to get it finished. Well, here it is, the Red and White Rising Sun coin purse! Hope you like it. I’m still donated money from these Japan themed items.
So here are some progress pictures of the Pokeball Backpack commision I got two weeks ago at the First Friday Art Walk. I just finished the pattern and cutting out the fabric. The way I laid it out is wrong the red is the top so just ignore the layout. The Front that consists of four pieces; the top (red), the bottom (white), the middle (black), and the button (white) in the middle of the black. The there is just the back (white) and the sides (white) then the linging which will be red cotton. I’m planning on using 1 inch wide black nyon webbing for the straps and handle. The straps will be adjustable, per customers request. I’ve never made a round bag this big before so this should be interesting to sew. Plus it’s vinyl so that’ll make it extra tricky. I’ll be sure to post pitures of the finished product before giving it to the customer. I’ll probably have them on etsy as a custom order as well.