Mermaid Costume Continued: Shell bra

I’m not an artist I’m a seamstress so it’s no wonder that painting is not my forte. I’m not happy with the way the shells for my costume came out but I think I’m going to deal with it because I don’t have time to find real shells or to order a pre-made shell bra. Here are some progress pictures of the shell top. I used a heat gun to mold the craft foam into the shell shape.

Cutting out the shape

Image

Before and after shaping with the heat gun

Image

Color reference and finished shell.

Image

Image

Finished bra with shells attached to top. I think I’m going to cover the bra with some of the same material from the tail so it’s doesn’t look like I covered a bikini top even though that’s what I did.

Image

Advertisements

Halloween hair clips

So as you know I was using my new embroidery machine to stitch out some cute little hair clips. It started with a pumpkin and went from there. Here are the finished products.

 

Available for purchase here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/112422785/halloween-hair-clips

Finished pumpkin hair clippies

I know it’s not Saturday yet but I wanted to show my finished hair clips anyway. I’m really happy with the way they came out. I don’t really like hand sewing but I couldn’t think of a better way to close these up. I could have stitched them right sides together and then hand stitched them closed after stuffing but I think that would have looked a little weird. I was just going to stitch wrong sides together with my machine but then I would still have to hand stitch the bottom closed and that might look weird if I had two different kinds of stitches in it. That’s why I opted for a slip stitch around the whole edge instead. I think it adds a handmade look to it that I like.

Image

Image

New ideas (tiniest tiny hat)

So I’ve just moved in with my boyfriend of two months and he’s got a charity that he gets donations for then sells at yard sales. While yard sale-ing with him yesterday I found the cutest tiny hat! I about screamed with joy when I found it in a huge box of crap. After wearing it all day, much to my boyfriends delight, I had a thought “I could totally make these!” So that’s what I think I’ll do. Not sure when it’ll happen but this is one of my back burner projects now.

Image

Red & White Rising Sun Coin Purse

I made this coin purse originally in Black and Red vinyl with a more gothic look to help raise money for Japan’s Earthquake Diaster this year. I raised over $200 in just about a month and was very please with the positive responce of the online community. I’ve been planning on making one in more tradisional style but it too me awhile to get it finished. Well, here it is, the Red and White Rising Sun coin purse! Hope you like it. I’m still donated money from these Japan themed items.

Updates

I haven’t been keeping up with my WCD Blogs the last few months because my life fell out and I’m trying to get it back in order. I’ve been mostly making Pokeball backpacks they seem to be selling very well and I’m really excited about it. I’ve also been very busy with Roller Derby, I pasted my skills test and got drafted to a team. I am now a Hail Mary of the Arizona Roller Girls my first game is in September. I’m super excited.
Other than just filling orders though my Etsy store I’ve been working on some toe gaurds for my skates. They sell them online and at skate shops but I didn’t like the ones they had for sale. Plus I wanted to see if there is another material other than leather that would work. So far I’ve had no luck with them. The vinyl works okay but I think I need to change the design a little bit. Here is a look at the ones I made and the aftermath 😀

The grey fur were made because I thought that they would just slide on the floor instead of scuffing. No luck, after the first knee drop there was a huge hole in the front from where the fabric melted from the heat of the friction.

The red and black ones looked great but didn’t hold out at all. I knew the red vinyl wasn’t strong enough but I didn’t think they would be riped off my skates. I know why these ripped apart, it was a design flaw. I didn’t have them on tight enough and the eyelets got ripped out of the vinyl. I have a new game plan for the toe gaurds and I’ll probably make another pair soon but for now I’m a little burnt on this project.