Finished pumpkin hair clippies

I know it’s not Saturday yet but I wanted to show my finished hair clips anyway. I’m really happy with the way they came out. I don’t really like hand sewing but I couldn’t think of a better way to close these up. I could have stitched them right sides together and then hand stitched them closed after stuffing but I think that would have looked a little weird. I was just going to stitch wrong sides together with my machine but then I would still have to hand stitch the bottom closed and that might look weird if I had two different kinds of stitches in it. That’s why I opted for a slip stitch around the whole edge instead. I think it adds a handmade look to it that I like.

Image

Image

Advertisements

Updates

I haven’t been keeping up with my WCD Blogs the last few months because my life fell out and I’m trying to get it back in order. I’ve been mostly making Pokeball backpacks they seem to be selling very well and I’m really excited about it. I’ve also been very busy with Roller Derby, I pasted my skills test and got drafted to a team. I am now a Hail Mary of the Arizona Roller Girls my first game is in September. I’m super excited.
Other than just filling orders though my Etsy store I’ve been working on some toe gaurds for my skates. They sell them online and at skate shops but I didn’t like the ones they had for sale. Plus I wanted to see if there is another material other than leather that would work. So far I’ve had no luck with them. The vinyl works okay but I think I need to change the design a little bit. Here is a look at the ones I made and the aftermath 😀

The grey fur were made because I thought that they would just slide on the floor instead of scuffing. No luck, after the first knee drop there was a huge hole in the front from where the fabric melted from the heat of the friction.

The red and black ones looked great but didn’t hold out at all. I knew the red vinyl wasn’t strong enough but I didn’t think they would be riped off my skates. I know why these ripped apart, it was a design flaw. I didn’t have them on tight enough and the eyelets got ripped out of the vinyl. I have a new game plan for the toe gaurds and I’ll probably make another pair soon but for now I’m a little burnt on this project.

More D.I.Y. madness!

So I wondered around the Goodwill by my house and found this awesome dress/shirt thing. Clearly it was ment for a taller girl because on me it is WAY too short to work as a dress. But I decided it would be a really cute tank top. Since summer is coming fast here in AZ I’ve been trying to get as many cute tops as possible.

So here is the run down of what i did to this dress. First I cut off the sleeve things cause they threw off the look of the top. Then the lacing was too long so I used a bit of it to make spegetti straps. Then I just hemmed the bottom and viola!  Thanks to Havok for assisting my model. 😀

These first four pictures are of the Dress before and the last three are of the tank top.

See the full gallery on Posterous

Wardrobe Revamp

I’ve been meaning to revamp some of my clothes for a while. When your low on funds and you can’t just run out and buy cooler clothes you have to get creative. So I was looking at my jeans and thinking about how I could make them more awesome. I had some black dye lying around so I figured, fuck it, I’ll dye a pair black. I’ve spent the last three days working of making a cool outfit out of the stuff I have on hand. This is what I came up with. I made a pair of my favorite fitting jeans into some awesome black skinny jeans that are super comfy as well as flattering. Viola, from old and busted to new hotness!

Then I had this ugly dress shirt I got at a thrift store years ago when I was a corporate flunky. I always liked the fabric and the cuffs but the shirt itself was just ill fitting no matter what I did to it. Best solution was to just cut it up. So I cut my favorite parts of the shirt and turned them into need “cuff” bracelets and a “collar” choker. A while ago I stumbled upon a tutorial on Thread Banger on how to make spats, I bookmarked it because I knew one day I would want to try to make a pair. Since I had extra fabric from the shirt I decided to try the spats. I added some pyramid studs for extra pazazz to complete the look. From Corporate bitch, to Steam Punk aristocrat!