Here is the final result of the mermaid costume I’ve been making for the last week. I was only able to wear it once because it’s so hard to get in and out of I’ll have to be selective about where I wear it to. I’m pleased with the way it came out. I think the purple wig and silver shoes compliment it nicely.
I’m not an artist I’m a seamstress so it’s no wonder that painting is not my forte. I’m not happy with the way the shells for my costume came out but I think I’m going to deal with it because I don’t have time to find real shells or to order a pre-made shell bra. Here are some progress pictures of the shell top. I used a heat gun to mold the craft foam into the shell shape.
Cutting out the shape
Before and after shaping with the heat gun
Color reference and finished shell.
Finished bra with shells attached to top. I think I’m going to cover the bra with some of the same material from the tail so it’s doesn’t look like I covered a bikini top even though that’s what I did.
So for this years Halloween I decided to be a mermaid. I’m going out on Saturday night to a Halloween party put on by one of my fellow Rollergirls. Here’s a really bad sketch of the costume idea. Basically the tail is attached via a wrap around high waisted belt. So the back looks like the tail and the front is just a belt. I’ll have tiny booty shorts on and some fishnet tights on underneath. Then I’m going to use some craft foam to make the shells for the bra part.
Here is the cut out of the awesome blue vinyl I’m using for the tail and a close up of the texture.
I know it’s not Saturday yet but I wanted to show my finished hair clips anyway. I’m really happy with the way they came out. I don’t really like hand sewing but I couldn’t think of a better way to close these up. I could have stitched them right sides together and then hand stitched them closed after stuffing but I think that would have looked a little weird. I was just going to stitch wrong sides together with my machine but then I would still have to hand stitch the bottom closed and that might look weird if I had two different kinds of stitches in it. That’s why I opted for a slip stitch around the whole edge instead. I think it adds a handmade look to it that I like.
Sorry I missed a week. I’ve been working on a few new projects trying to get ready for Halloween. Trying to learn more about my embroidery machine. So here is the first look at the beginnings of my Pumpkin hair clips. I took some felt and am going to cut around them and sewing them to a backing piece so I can add a little stuffing then glue/sew them onto a clip. They’re going to be so freaking cute when they are done!