This is the inside of the Pokeball Purse I make and sell on my etsy store. The picture in the listing is a little out of date. I started adding vinyl piping to the front and back seams to make the bag hold it’s round shape better. Here is what they used to look like before the piping.
Here is the new Pokeball Purse with piping!
So much better looking! But now it’s ridiculously thick. The front piece is two (top half and bottom half) pieces of vinyl sewn together in the middle with the black “button” piece sewing on top. Add the two layers of vinyl for the piping and the side piece. All that makes a seams that is five layers of vinyl!! That’s not including the two layers of cotton lining or the other two layers of red vinyl bias I sew around this raw edge to make it look pretty on the inside.
I could never have done it without my industrial walking foot machine! This badboy right here is my pride and joy! He’s my favorite machine! Shhhh…don’t tell the others!
So this bag was a custom order. Its a bigger more awesome version of the Pokeball backpack I make. First off it’s a whooping 16 inches in diameter, then it’s a total of 6 inches in depth. The original is only 12″x 2″. Then they wanted a pocket for a laptop, so instead of just putting a pocket inside it, I decided to do one better and do a double compartment. This was a better undertaking than I realized because of all the layers involved in the bag. I reinforced everything with a layer of denim to cancel out the vinyl’s stretch, then a layer of cotton so it will look nice on the inside. For the laptop compartment I did a layer of batting for extra protection. After all that I did strips of 1 1/2″ wide nylon webbing across the bottom to make sure it could hold the weight of books. Wow was it ever hard to get those seams in my sewing machine. Even with my Juki machine it barely cleared the presser foot. If I had have my walking foot machine a week ago this would not have been a problem. But that’s for another post. This bag is awesome and I wish I could keep it but its for a wonderful customer. I hope he loves it as much as I do, it was such a labor of love to make it.
So I’ve been making nothing but pokeball backpacks since I had the idea for the first one. They are extremely popular. I’ve made 2-6 a month for the last few months. I think that’s awesome that they are so popular, but no one has been ordering anything else in my store. All my original designs have gone unsold, but the pokeball backpack is also an original design. I didn’t think they’d be so popular. I’ve had other anime inspired ideas that I haven’t been able to work on because I’m busy making pokeballs. I’ve been thinking that maybe I should put them on hold and stop selling them for a while. Then bring them back as a special limited time offer later. I’m feeling a lot like a band that is tired of playing that radio hit because they’ve played it way too many times. However, it’s hard to stop making them when they’re the only thing selling at the moment and I really need the money. What to do, what to do, hmm…
I haven’t been keeping up with my WCD Blogs the last few months because my life fell out and I’m trying to get it back in order. I’ve been mostly making Pokeball backpacks they seem to be selling very well and I’m really excited about it. I’ve also been very busy with Roller Derby, I pasted my skills test and got drafted to a team. I am now a Hail Mary of the Arizona Roller Girls my first game is in September. I’m super excited.
Other than just filling orders though my Etsy store I’ve been working on some toe gaurds for my skates. They sell them online and at skate shops but I didn’t like the ones they had for sale. Plus I wanted to see if there is another material other than leather that would work. So far I’ve had no luck with them. The vinyl works okay but I think I need to change the design a little bit. Here is a look at the ones I made and the aftermath 😀
The grey fur were made because I thought that they would just slide on the floor instead of scuffing. No luck, after the first knee drop there was a huge hole in the front from where the fabric melted from the heat of the friction.
The red and black ones looked great but didn’t hold out at all. I knew the red vinyl wasn’t strong enough but I didn’t think they would be riped off my skates. I know why these ripped apart, it was a design flaw. I didn’t have them on tight enough and the eyelets got ripped out of the vinyl. I have a new game plan for the toe gaurds and I’ll probably make another pair soon but for now I’m a little burnt on this project.
So here are some progress pictures of the Pokeball Backpack commision I got two weeks ago at the First Friday Art Walk. I just finished the pattern and cutting out the fabric. The way I laid it out is wrong the red is the top so just ignore the layout. The Front that consists of four pieces; the top (red), the bottom (white), the middle (black), and the button (white) in the middle of the black. The there is just the back (white) and the sides (white) then the linging which will be red cotton. I’m planning on using 1 inch wide black nyon webbing for the straps and handle. The straps will be adjustable, per customers request. I’ve never made a round bag this big before so this should be interesting to sew. Plus it’s vinyl so that’ll make it extra tricky. I’ll be sure to post pitures of the finished product before giving it to the customer. I’ll probably have them on etsy as a custom order as well.