I’m not an artist I’m a seamstress so it’s no wonder that painting is not my forte. I’m not happy with the way the shells for my costume came out but I think I’m going to deal with it because I don’t have time to find real shells or to order a pre-made shell bra. Here are some progress pictures of the shell top. I used a heat gun to mold the craft foam into the shell shape.
Cutting out the shape
Before and after shaping with the heat gun
Color reference and finished shell.
Finished bra with shells attached to top. I think I’m going to cover the bra with some of the same material from the tail so it’s doesn’t look like I covered a bikini top even though that’s what I did.
So I’ve been keeping my promise of posting at least once a week to my readers. This week I visited Dallas Texas. We we’re thinking about moving there. We went there thinking it might be better than Phoenix but we were wrong. People were not as friendly as we were lead to believe. We couldn’t get anyone to show us a house or anything. It was like pulling teeth to get anything done. Dallas was okay as a city it just wasn’t for us. The best part about our trip was their awesome Fabric District! I’ve never seen so many warehouse fabric stores that could rival that of downtown LA. I really wish Arizona has something like that. As awesome as it was it still wasn’t worth the 16 hour drive. Here are some of the goodies I got.
This is actually spandex fabric with an argyle print. Not sure what I’m going to do with it but it’s so freaking cute I just had to have a yard of it.
This stuff is also spandex that I don’t know what to do with but it’s really cool looking. Maybe if I reinforce it with some denim I can make a few bags out of it. I also got it in red cause it was that awesome.
John (boyfriend/business partner) loved this fabric. I’m okay with it, it was a little expensive at $23 a yard so I only got half a yard. Again not sure what i’ll do with it but it will be interesting. 😀
So that was my Dallas trip, a little disappointing but at least I got some cool fabric. Until next week.
So I was cleaning up my apartment, specifically my sewing area and I realized I have too many unfinished projects. I really should get them all done. The problem for most of them is they’re still in the “design”. Most of them are bags that have been cut out already and have the main body ready to go, it’s just the little details that are elusive. Like what I should add to make it pop or give it that “WolfChild” flare. So this week I pulled out a few of them and just started doing the little things that need to be done with them like cutting out linings and sewing tags and pockets. All in the hope that that creative spark will fire and I’ll be able to finish them soon. I was able to finish two of them so far but my goal is to get my whole pending project drawer empty by the end of the year. I’ll keep you posted how it goes. Keep an eye on my store for new products.
So here are some progress pictures of the Pokeball Backpack commision I got two weeks ago at the First Friday Art Walk. I just finished the pattern and cutting out the fabric. The way I laid it out is wrong the red is the top so just ignore the layout. The Front that consists of four pieces; the top (red), the bottom (white), the middle (black), and the button (white) in the middle of the black. The there is just the back (white) and the sides (white) then the linging which will be red cotton. I’m planning on using 1 inch wide black nyon webbing for the straps and handle. The straps will be adjustable, per customers request. I’ve never made a round bag this big before so this should be interesting to sew. Plus it’s vinyl so that’ll make it extra tricky. I’ll be sure to post pitures of the finished product before giving it to the customer. I’ll probably have them on etsy as a custom order as well.