Mitered Corner Cheat

My assistant Hannah came up with this brilliant idea for cutting the corner in prep for sewing a mitered corner on these table runners. She took the clipping from the first runner she did and used it as a template for all the other corners for the rest of the runners! BRILLIANT!! I would have measured every single corner. LOL

Advertisements

The table runners that just won’t end

So back in February I took a job for 28 table runners for a charity. They requested a discounted rate because it was a charity. I agreed because it was the spouse of one of my regular clients. Unfortunately, I under quoted the time the job would take and ended up in the hole on this huge project. Aside from that my assistant Hannah and myself have had problem after problem with this awful fabric my client bought at SAS Fabrics here in Arizona. They are a warehouse style fabric shop that often has a lot of manufacturer defect or overstock fabric. We first noticed issues with it when we did the first three runners as samples. The fabric is a polyester/rayon heavy satin with huge blue and white stripes running parallel to the lengthwise grain. For the life of me I couldn’t understand why they were bubbling in the middle and not laying flat. We tried every sewing trick I know and some I looked up to try to create the best situation for them to come out flat. It didn’t seem hard since we were just hemming the fabric in a giant rectangle. We pressed it, we starched it, we pinned it, we tried a satin foot, we tried a walking foot. Nothing seemed to work. So finally I decided they were just going to be funky and we just moved on and kept sewing them. Half way though the bolt of 25 yards we noticed that the stripes were not where they were when we started. When the stripes were printed on the fabric they were not straight. It looks like the fabric moved while they printed it and the result was spiral stripes the length of the whole bolt! Since we need to the strips to run the length of the runners and not across the runners, the runners were twisted!! Bubbling problem solved! Ugh I was so irritated about it. It wasn’t anyone fault and you wouldn’t have been able to tell just by looking at the bolt. If we had used to the stripes in the other direction it might not have been an issue but the runners would have looked a little prison-y. Anyway, we’re down to the last one today and I’ll be happy when this job is done and we can start working on costumes.

Here is a picture of the last of the two 40 foot runners we had to do. We had 26 7 foot by 14″ runners and two 40 foot by 14″ runners. Process is: Starch and press, press and pin hem, sew, and press again. 40 FEET OF IT!!!

Biggest Pokeball I’ve ever made!

So this bag was a custom order. Its a bigger more awesome version of the Pokeball backpack I make. First off it’s a whooping 16 inches in diameter, then it’s a total of 6 inches in depth. The original is only 12″x 2″. Then they wanted a pocket for a laptop, so instead of just putting a pocket inside it, I decided to do one better and do a double compartment. This was a better undertaking than I realized because of all the layers involved in the bag. I reinforced everything with a layer of denim to cancel out the vinyl’s stretch, then a layer of cotton so it will look nice on the inside. For the laptop compartment I did a layer of batting for extra protection. After all that I did strips of 1 1/2″ wide nylon webbing across the bottom to make sure it could hold the weight of books. Wow was it ever hard to get those seams in my sewing machine. Even with my Juki machine it barely cleared the presser foot. If I had have my walking foot machine a week ago this would not have been a problem. But that’s for another post. This bag is awesome and I wish I could keep it but its for a wonderful customer. I hope he loves it as much as I do, it was such a labor of love to make it. 

Image

ImageImage

Image

Image

Red & White Rising Sun Coin Purse

I made this coin purse originally in Black and Red vinyl with a more gothic look to help raise money for Japan’s Earthquake Diaster this year. I raised over $200 in just about a month and was very please with the positive responce of the online community. I’ve been planning on making one in more tradisional style but it too me awhile to get it finished. Well, here it is, the Red and White Rising Sun coin purse! Hope you like it. I’m still donated money from these Japan themed items.

Pokeball backpack

So here are some progress pictures of the Pokeball Backpack commision I got two weeks ago at the First Friday Art Walk. I just finished the pattern and cutting out the fabric. The way I laid it out is wrong the red is the top so just ignore the layout. The Front that consists of four pieces; the top (red), the bottom (white), the middle (black), and the button (white) in the middle of the black. The there is just the back (white) and the sides (white) then the linging which will be red cotton. I’m planning on using 1 inch wide black nyon webbing for the straps and handle. The straps will be adjustable, per customers request. I’ve never made a round bag this big before so this should be interesting to sew. Plus it’s vinyl so that’ll make it extra tricky. I’ll be sure to post pitures of the finished product before giving it to the customer. I’ll probably have them on etsy as a custom order as well.

Click here go to my etsy shop to purchase