Tattoo Princesses

I’ve said this before, but I love the creative jobs I get. The not so normal alterations and projects. This came from one of my Roller Derby League mates. She asked me to take this cute purse she had and use it to create a panel on her denim vest. She’s kind of punk so it figures the purse fabric is Disney princesses in Tattoo pin-up style.

Here is the purse fabric:

The cuteness of the fabric alone made this project so much fun to work with.

The trickiest part was making a pattern for the back shoulders of the jacket. At first, I had it laying flat on my table and I was just going to pin some paper to it and trace it out as best I could. Then I noticed my Hoop Master shirt board and had a great idea. Putting it on the shirt board made it so much easier to work with the jacket.

Then I got started drafting a quick pattern. In retrospect, I should have taken a little more time to make the pattern symmetrical because it came out a little off but I already cut the fabric so I couldn’t go back.

The trick to this was trying to position the pattern so that I could get the most princesses in the frame. Also, I made sure that her favorite princess, Belle, was very visible.

Finally sewing it onto the jacket was probably the easiest part. I didn’t give myself a seam allowance but did a serged edges instead. Then used a zig-zag stitch to secure it to the jacket because the fabric was kind of stretchy.

As an extra thing, I decided it would be fun to make a patch from one of the other Belle’s on the fabric since that was her favorite. I thought about using my embroidery machine but I had already cut out the Belle, so lining up stitching would have been a nightmare. Instead, I opted to create it manually with a zig-zag on my home machine. I did it just like I would have on the embroidery machine, I used spray adhesive to secure the fabric to some no-show mesh stabilizer and some thick cut-away stabilizer. Then sewed a basting stitch an eight of an inch from the edge all the way around the patch. Then I cut off the stabilizer and used spray adhesive to attach the patch to some Badge Master stabilizer. Then zig-zagged all the way around the edge, making sure that the right most needle position was just over the edge of the fabric. Looking back I really should have used embroidery thread but I didn’t even thick of it until afterward. It still came out awesome. There were a few spots where the fabric was showing through so I used a black sharpie to color it in.

She still has fabric left so I told her if she wanted I could make more patches from the other princesses. This was a super fun project! It gives me ideas for some clothes of my own I can spruce up!

Advertisements

Great way to get rid of gaping without resewing anything. 😀

bgballroom

I have a great knee length stretch denim skirt I have been wearing for yonks (love that word!) and have worried a bit about what I would do when it wore out.  I have a lovely white one as well, but you have to be pretty much in serious summer mode, have the correct size, shape and colour of unmentionables on and be sure the rest of the outfit doesn’t scream “lady golfer!” so it doesn’t get quite the amount of wear the blue one does.   Enter the Zellers selling out sale.  A nice Gloria Vanderbilt denim skirt for a nice cheap price.  Of course, it doesn’t quite fit. *sigh*  But it is close.  Really close.

That darned gap!  After turning it over in hand and mind a few times and working on the pants, I decided to try to fake this one and see if I could get away…

View original post 227 more words