Halloween 2015

Here are the Halloween costumes that I had for this year. Punk Rock Thing 1 and Thing 2 from cat in the hat for myself and my assistant Hannah, Custom Princess Tiana sash for a client, Jake from Statefarm embroidery for a client, and Cat ears for my sister and my niece.

IMG_20151030_160123866IMG_20151030_145601038IMG_20151030_175300237_HDR     IMG_20151031_072611693 IMG_20151031_084652169 IMG_20151031_093046429_HDRIMG_20151030_200401923IMG_20151026_135555130_HDR

SA Curve Ruler Discount!

I want one!

Sew Well

First, thank you to everyone who entered last week’s giveaway for the SACurve Pattern Drafter. The lucky winner is Janet Williams! She’ll be getting the 5/8″ Pattern Drafter, which I hope she’ll find useful for adding seam allowances to patterns without them, adding stitching lines to patterns that already come with 5/8″ seam allowances, and drawing curves with the built-in French curve.

For everyone else who’s still interested in their own Pattern Drafter, you can get 20% off anything in the SACurve Etsy store from now until June 21st using the coupon code SEWWELL2015!

SACurve Curve Runner + Sew Well

And, just a reminder that the Curve Runner Kickstarter is still going on. There are three weeks left, and Curve Runner is well past its initial $1,000 goal and over half way to its $10,000 stretch goal! It’s even been chosen as a Kickstarter staff pick!  Woohoo! I am so excited it’s done…

View original post 134 more words

Playing around with Plastic bag upcycling

So recently I got in to up-cycling and how I can use it to make our world a little better. As a small business I try to source things in the US whenever possible and if I can I’ll source supplies in Arizona where I live. Buying local and keeping money local helps the economy of my area. Another thing I’ve gotten into is turning trash into new things so they don’t just get thrown away. One of these things is bicycle inner tubes and plastic grocery bags. Rubber and plastic are very toxic products so I am starting projects that will incorporate recycling them so that they don’t end up in landfills or if they do they’ll be easier to recycle and brake down. I have a whole box of bike inner tubes waiting for my attention right now. I’ll be posting about that later. Yesterday I came across a great tutorial on etsy on how to turn plastic bags into a fabric type substance so that you can create reusable tote bags for shopping. This is my attempt at fusing plastic bags to create a fabric. 

I started with the amount the tutorial suggested of eight layers of plastic bags. I folded them neatly then cut the handles and bottoms off. 








This is the result of that. I actually folded the eight layers in half here and created 16 layers which came out pretty cool.



I used a heat press instead of an iron (suggested by the tutorial) to fuse the bags.




I decided that those scraps of handles and bottoms needs to not be wasted so I experimented with fusing the loose pieces. After a little trial and error I found it worked fine. 



I had the heat press a little too hot and the plastic stuck to the paper. 




I’m excited to make more plastic fabric and create reusable shopping bags.